Once again, this part of the costume is also included on my Indigo-1 WIP on the League of Lantern yuku forum.
The head piece was made from a latex bald cap used as a core. I mixed acrylic paints together to match my liquid foundation make-up as best as I could (suggest Liquitex soft body). I used a black eye liner to draw the guide line for the first cornrow, starting at the crown of the head. As for the cornrows themselves, you can buy crepe wool hair but for this application it's cheaper to just buy black wool yarn. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for $4 and only used half of the bundle. The real trick is to measure out the over all length you want the hair to be, add around 25% to 50% more and then double it. Braiding will, of course, make the the length retract a bit. Remove the thread guides that are spun into the yarn and gently spread the center of the length. For attachment I used a flesh tone liquid latex that comes with a brush applicator connected to the inside lid. Brush the latex onto the eye liner guide covering around 1" to 1.5", lay the center of the yarn onto the latex and carefully brush another coat on top. Carefully divide each side into three parts, it's easier than it appears. Repeat the entire process around 4-5 times down the guide line. For the pointed front I just used a non doubled length of yarn, pulled slightly at the tip and rubbed it between my fingers to give it a quick, mock felting. I then trimmed the tip, glued it in front of the line and gently divided it into three sections. As you work down the sides of the head, it's best to subtract the number of lines, I did this every other row. As for the symbol, I drew and cut out the shapes on thin vinyl, painted them to match the indigo blue and super glued the pieces into the bald cap.
The staff is comprised of three separate parts. I made the light using a toy wand I purchased from Walgreens. The lights were collapsed down from a branch formation to a compacted 'bulb', very similar to a LED flashlight. I kept the circuit board, switch and battery pack but replaced the old wires with better stronger ones. Because I've never worked with soldering or circuit boards before this took many trial and errors before I had a finished product. The next step was the light encasing, which consisted of a 3 liter soda bottle, aluminum tape, wax paper, and purple cellophane. The bottle was cut into sections with the funnel like top used as the actual bulb. The lights were attached to smaller hole with wire tape and the inside of the funnel was layered with the foil to create the standard mirror surface. The lower, unused, section of the bottle was then attached to the top of a dowel rod with a small section cut out for the wires to fall through when the new 'bulb' is finally put into place. The purpose of this is to give the bell of the staff a fuller figure as well as protect the back of the 'bulb'. Once the core of the bell is ready to go, the switch and battery pact were attached to the trunk of the staff and the wires were tapped down. I went through 4 to 5 packs of model magic just to fill out and blend the bell into the trunk. I chose that clay specifically because of it's price, ability to air cure (though slow going), but more so because of it's weight. After that it was adding the texture. This part was a pain and best done with two or more people. I went through another 4 packs but of paper clay this time. All of the texture you see is just hand rolled 'snakes' placed randomly. Lastly, I painted the finished staff with a lavender wall paint, blue washed with a diluted acrylic paint and wiped away, then sealed it with the addition of a micro powder.
I have posted a WIP with progress pictures and notes on the yuku forum, League of Lanterns.